Tuesday, October 25, 2005

My neighbour is a New Age quack!!!

I mentioned my neighbour at Graduate House, a nice ethnic-Chinese Canadian guy, in an earlier entry. It turns out he was born in northern China and moved to Canada with his family when he was 9, so he's not a CBC like me. Overall, he's a nice guy, generally quite clean, but I must also say that he's a bit strange too.

Will is in his mid-thirties and was a successful white-collar professional in Calgary until two years ago. He quit a good job at a Big Four accounting firm to.. well.. you can read this:

"William XX is a seasoned devotee of various bodyworks. He holds accreditations in fitness consulting, rock climbing, yoga and Pilates. He has spent the last two years travelling through Canada, India and Thailand, teaching yoga and studying with many masters."

(Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to indent, so I had to italicise instead. Then again, this is a blog, and I guess we don't need to be so strict when it comes to formatting)

That's right! Old Willy is a yoga teacher! He quit his job and his life to learn and teach yoga and fitness. In fact, he's teaching a yoga class at the fitness centre at HKU. Oh yeah, this guy is in great shape. Taller than me, shoulders not as broad as mine, but very well-defined muscles. He and I are the beefcakes of Graduate House. Well, he's the exotic and muscular beefcake, while I'm the bear-like funny guy beefcake. The funny thing, though, is that he told me he's looking to stay single AND he isn't looking for "fun". It seems he likes girls, but he hasn't brought anyone home (yet).

I think I'm relatively lucky to have Will as my neighbour. As I mentioned earlier, he's usually quite clean and is also quiet. He's usually not intrusive, though I do wish he'd tell me how he feels about certain things, e.g. my noise levels, whether or not he's bothered by my mess, etc. Oh, a couple of days after he moved in, I asked him when he usually goes to sleep, and he told me 10pm. When I asked him if I made too much noise when I shower at 2am, he said, "a bit." Well, to hell with that. I still shower at 2am, and he's gotten used to it. I guess the walls aren't exactly thin, but these rooms aren't exactly soundproof. As a result, Willy knows of my sins. Actually, he's quite proud of me, or at least he doesn't judge me. Well, I'm sure he does quite well as a handsome yoga teacher. Have you SEEN yoga chicks? OH MAN!

Will and I both ran for the Graduate House Residents Committee Executive Committee, and we both won seats because no one else (other than a Japanese girl) wanted to run. Anyway, he seemed a bit jealous when I won more votes than he did. When we were given some responsibilities, he said, "why don't YOU do it, since you're Mr. Popular?" Sigh.. of the 3 members of the GHRC, he's the laziest. The Japanese girl always helps out, always shows up at the events, always helps me prepare, and always shows up for meetings. At the meetings that Will DOES attend, he comes up with ambitious but unfeasible ideas and ideas that would create more work for me, work that he'd be unwilling or unavailable to do. I wonder why the guy ever ran for this committee in the first place.

Oh, earlier tonight, Will cut either his toenails or his fingernails (or both) in the bathroom. He KNOWS Monday is cleaning day. Why not cut them on Sunday? It's inevitable that some stray nail will not get into the rubbish bin/sink/toilet bowl. Silly.

Oh yes, Will sometimes burns incense in his room, and it's not Chinese incense, but some stange stuff from India. I honestly don't like the smell. It seeps into the bathroom, then into my room, though in trace amounts.

Oh! I had to buy a toilet brush because of him! I just couldn't wait until Mondays for the bowl to be clean. On at least one occasion, he even "polluted" the bowl on a Monday, AFTER the cleaning lady came!

Oh, and by the way, Willy is studying Journalism. Hmm.. a very interesting life.

But yeah, overall, a good neighbour and toilet-mate, so far.

5 Comments:

At 10:15 a.m., Blogger Triple D said...

haha good post Cosmic!

Ask him if he can make curry. Maybe he's learned in other Indian arts, I Love Curry!

I'll visit you next summer. Hopefully he'll still be your roommate.

 
At 2:30 a.m., Blogger Wabisabi said...

You know, Ken, I thought you would have got used to all that stuff by now, what with the Tibetan Buddhist stuff your dad is into (and my mom too).

 
At 2:37 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I haven't seen the Yoga chicks.. do elaborate... ;)

 
At 7:43 p.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Used to this stuff? Even if I AM used to this stuff, I have every right to call someone a "quack", haha.

Anon, who are you? And are you serious? Well, there's bound to be an uggo or two in every yoga class, but the vast majority of yoga chicks are F-I-N-E! Ask my buddy Sean. I don't think he's actually interested in yoga itself, but..

 
At 3:20 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Man, if only you saw the kind of guys that at the Yoga Club sessions in UM...definitely there for the tail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home