Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Bad student reading an interesting article

I'm a bad bad bad bad student. I spend my days reading things totally unrelated to my research topic. I tell myself I'll change in a couple of months, after I finish my required courses.

Today, I woke up at 10am, had a brief breakfast at 10:40am, went to badminton class at 11am, went to the weight room at 12pm, had lunch at 1pm, went to my "Intro to Thesis Writing" class at 2pm, then finally went to my office at 4pm. After reading newspapers for a couple of hours, I fell asleep at my desk at 6pm, woke up at 7pm, then read a book related to my research topic for 1.5 hours. I then bought take-out fried rice for dinner, which I ate in my room while watching a Korean movie that I'll screen for the residents here on Friday night. I went to a nearby supermarket at 10pm, and now, I'm back in my dorm reading more stuff unrelated to my research topic.

Like this: http://www.culturecult.com/art_notes.htm. I must warn you, it's really really really really long.

But I LOVE IT! The guy is so bold! It's certainly the first time in quite a while I've seen anybody justify Eurocentrism. I'm only 1/10 through the article, though. The guy says, "frankly, as civilizations go, the Mayan civilization in Mexico didn't amount to much," and does a convincing job of it! I guess I shouldn't evaluate an article until I finish reading it, but this is just way too long and it may take me a couple more hours to finish, and I doubt I'll be in the mood to write by that time. Anyway, this article is a real departure from academic writing, which can be so technical, full of jargon, wishy-washy, and just plain boring. This guy makes strong assertions and backs it up with examples. I can't say that I totally agree with the guy, but I find it hard to disagree. Perhaps that has a lot to do with my ignorance, though.

Okay, back to the article.


UPDATE: Oops! It turns out I was 80% finished the article at the time.

1 Comments:

At 3:44 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Boring and wishy-washy!? Try reading a PhD thesis on systems dynamics! Ugh...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home