Monday, October 24, 2005

I'm no pushover!

I can't believe the gall of some people. Just last night, a fellow resident of Graduate House, a girl from China I barely know, asked me for a favour. She asked me to help her re-write an ESL student's single-spaced page of writing, saying that it should take me 20-30 minutes. She offered absolutely nothing in return.

How could this girl ask me to do her this favour? Why didn't she offer me something in return? What could she possibly do for me? If there's anything she could do (e.g. cook me dinner sometime), why didn't she suggest anything? Why would I possibly want to expend 30 minutes of my precious mental energy to help her?

This is a girl I bump into while taking the lift once in a while, and whom I may see on the badminton court or in the canteens on the HKU campus. Until yesterday, we didn't know each others' names, though she probably knows who I am because of the whole Resident's Committee thing.

Some of you may think that 30 minutes isn't a big deal, and re-writing a single-spaced page isn't that much work, but I was quite shocked and quite insulted when she asked me for this favour. Honestly, did she think she could take advantage of me and my good nature? She gets the exact same amount of funding that I get. Didn't it ever cross her mind to offer to pay me? Or take me to lunch? Or buy me a drink? Actually, I'd rather just have the money. Why spend any more time with her than I need to? Anyway, her friend, the one who gave her my contact information (the Japanese girl who got the fewest votes during the RC election), asked me to proofread her work, and has offered to pay me. When I was in Canada, I helped one of my dearest friends proofread the chapters of his PhD thesis, and he paid me a very generous rate.

Anyway, I told her I'm not experienced in paraphrasing, insisted it would take more longer than just 20-30 minutes, that I've been getting busier and busier, and that I don't want to waste 30 minutes of my precious mental energy.


Oh yeah, two Fridays ago, I lent my pirated copy of the movie Closer to another resident from China. I barely know him, and can't even remember his name, but this guy attends the Friday night movie screenings regularly. He returned the DVD to me last Friday, and when I took a quick look at the DVD, I noticed that not only was it a bit scratched, it was dusty and had what seemed to be splash marks on it. I usually contain my disappointment and/or fury, but I gave him a scowl and asked, "what the hell did you do to my DVD, man? Did you just leave it out in the open all week? And what the hell are these? Splash marks? You've got to be kidding me. You've got to take better care of my DVD's, buddy." Believe it or not, he just shrugged and gave me this indifferent "I don't know what happened" look and said, "Actually, I also lent the DVD to my friend." MY GOD! I don't know what's worse: him lending my DVD to his friend without my permission, or one or both of these guys showing absolutely no concern about my DVD. I've decided not to lend my DVD's to anyone aside from my very close friends. Oh yeah, I noticed something else about this sonofabitch: he sat on the couch closest to the snack table, and he HOARDED the snacks. I suppose it was my mistake to forget to buy smaller plates. This guy filled his plate with Lays several times! FILLED! Lays are damned expensive in Hong Kong, by the way.

I'll still keep trying to be a nice guy, but I'll make it clear that I will not let people take advantage of me. In fact, I'll humiliate such people whenever I can. Some people may ask me to do them unreasonable favours and may think I'M the asshole for refusing them. If necessary, I'll make it clear to them and to others that THEY are the assholes. And of course, I'll warn my friends about such people. Shall I post pictures of these two scumbags?

11 Comments:

At 4:23 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

DO IT!!! And we'll have a Photoshopping contest to see who can do the best job screwing with the photos! Muhahaha!

Next time that girl has the "balls" to ask you a favor for nothing in return, tell her that you'll do it, but she'll have to knock her front teeth out before she can do a certain favor to repay you. Laugh at her puzzled look.

Dirty, dirty me....

 
At 10:12 a.m., Blogger Triple D said...

Ken man... some times you've gotta give to get.

I know you're in a relationship, but if would have contributed that 30 mins, perhaps it'd count as a quickie or bj in the bank.

Of course I dont want you to be taken advantage of, but one time won't hurt.

 
At 10:46 a.m., Blogger Wabisabi said...

......
Which reminds me, do you still want Nachos? I can bring you some, but I am afraid they will be squashed in my suitcase...

And Charity, young man, Charity!

 
At 11:30 a.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

I had a conversation with a professor and a researcher from my Centre yesterday afternoon. They told me about some characteristics of Hong Kong people. One characteristic is Hong Kong people don't want to "seet die", which means that they don't want anyone to take advantage of them, not even for a second. It seems I've adopted this characteristic.

 
At 11:35 a.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Hen, thanks for the offer, but I can get nachos in Hong Kong. Yes yes, charity, whatever. But I knew that if I said yes this time, she'd ask me for more and more favours in the future, and also, she'd tell her friends, then I'd be stuck being the nice charitable guy. Forget it! So yes, one time can hurt, Don.

Vince, give me some time to get a pic. Actually, I DO have a pic, haha. Nah, not going to post it.

 
At 4:03 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Phooey.

 
At 2:38 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe she wanted you, and could only think of the essay as a way to meet you...

 
At 6:47 p.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! A former coworker from Ruder Finn in Beijing just asked me to proofread his shit for him. I barely know this guy and he wants me to proofread his crappy-assed writing for him FOR FREE! I'm beginning to think that my exceptional command of English (exceptional by Chinese standards, I guess) is a curse rather than a blessing.

 
At 6:49 p.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

I guess I'm pissed that people have been asking me to help them with their work because I've done so little of my own work lately. I've been desperately trying to jump-start myself, but my efforts have been hijacked by people who ask me to do this and that. I just want to get hold of their shoulders and shake them and shake them while asking, "DON'T YOU KNOW THAT I HAVE MY OWN WORK TO DO??"

 
At 1:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you ask them to pay you? Some people like to bargain hard as it wouldn't hurt to try. If you say yes, he/she get the job done for FREE. Especially for people from Mainland, it is quite normal to bargain with outrageous price. There's no difference from offering $5 for a $100 T-shirt

 
At 2:59 p.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Unless they're willing to pay me about $30 USD per hour, this kind of work isn't worth my time.

I helped my former coworker for about 10 minutes, then told him I couldn't help him. At least the girl's work will ultimately contribute to society. My coworker works for a PR firm, and I'm not interested in helping him sell cars, at least not for free.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home