Sunday, October 09, 2005

Farewell, grandma...

My grandma passed away in her sleep yesterday morning. The cancer she has been battling for almost 4 years has finally claimed her. She's a tough woman - in December 2001, her doctors told us she had only 6-12 months to live.

My grandma was a very pleasant person. She immigrated to Canada when my brother and sister were born, and lived with us until my younger cousins were born. She raised all of my siblings and cousins on my dad's side of the family, showering us with her love and concern whether we were naughty or nice.

My family has been coping well, so my dad says. My dad is a respected scholar of Buddhism, and he tries to help my relatives and my family understand death better. He has made me understand the Indian notion of death - that death is a part of life, is natural, and is not a bad thing. We've all seen my grandma suffer in the last few years of her life, particularly this last year, so we're happy to know that she suffers no more.

I will not go back to Vancouver for the funeral. My dad told me not to. He and my mom have always said that as long as I treat people with respect while they are alive, I don't have to make empty gestures to them when they are gone. Often, it is those who have reason to feel guilty who make the grandest gestures after someone dies.

My grandma would want me to continue to live my life happily. I will miss her, but all I can do is remember her as an important person in my life and to try to be the kind of person that she has always wanted me to be.

8 Comments:

At 9:39 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that...

 
At 3:20 a.m., Blogger Triple D said...

Hey man, I'm sorry to hear the news. My condolences.

 
At 3:28 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Damn, I'm so sorry to hear that too. I know how that feels. The only grandparent I have left now is a grandmother.

Is she going to to have a Buddhist funeral? I hear that those who have passed away need a Buddhist name for the afterlife.

 
At 12:07 a.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Thank you all for your kind words.

My dad sent me the following message:

"Hi Kenny,

We are playing very low key in the funeral for grandma. Please do not spread the words about the dealth of grandma. Otherwise hundreds of people and friend will come to pay respect and oferring of condolation money (lay see). We do not want to border anyone unnecessarily. We have booked a very small reception room that can accommodate about twenty people, for the funeral . . . We are not public figures, so this is an occasion not to be advertised."


Please do me a favour and refrain from calling my family to offer your condolences. Although that would be much appreciated, it might get me into trouble, and my family, unlike me, appreciates discretion.

Thanks, and thanks again.

 
At 1:33 a.m., Blogger Wabisabi said...

生死有命,节哀顺变

 
At 7:07 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

I guess your folks have different customs than Western folks when it comes to a death in the family.

 
At 4:21 a.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

My grandma has been cremated. My sister and baby cousin tell me that the funeral went well. I wish I was there to hear my dad's speech about her life and about the journey her soul will take.

 
At 1:21 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that, Ken. I remember that I met your grandma several times, and she was always so kind and nice. I enjoyed talking to her.
Take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home