Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Oily face, oily pages

I'm required to take a class on thesis writing. Though it can be a bit slow at times, it's a very helpful class.

We're required to buy a textbook that costs about $20 CAD. Not everyone has bought the textbook, so those of us who HAVE bought the textbook are often forced to share with the people sitting beside us.

Today, I shared my textbook with the cheapo who sat beside me. He's a local Hong Kong guy doing a Masters degree in Sociology. This kid is nice, but.. it's not pleasant to sit beside him or chat with him. I met him during an activity during the first lesson when we had to describe our research interests to some of our classmates. The first thing I noticed when he first opened his mouth was his pungent breath, which was stinky enough to peel the paint off of cars! We were standing face-to-face, but I tried to discreetly turn so that we would face the same direction. This tactic did work, to some extent, though I could still smell SOMETHING.

Anyway, this guy sat beside me in class today, and as I mentioned earlier, we had to share my textbook. The thing is, I normally mangle my books, but I don't like it when other people damage my books. When two people are forced to share a book, they're often forced to open the book more widely, opening up the spine to 180 degrees, sometimes more. I'm normally okay with this, but not when he has a hand in it. What's worse is that he kept touching his face and neck once in a while. This is a guy who has an oily face, and who doesn't wash it as often as I do. Those of you who know me know that I was my face after every meal and every once in a while, perhaps hourly. Anyway, all I could think about was the amount of facial oil that was getting soaked into the pages of my textbook. I couldn't concentrate in class!

I don't mind sharing with girls. Next time, I'm going to sit between two girls.

4 Comments:

At 2:47 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Dammit, you should've scouted the girls the first thing when walking into the first class. Once you sit somewhere, the prof expects you to stay there so he/she could remember your name by the place you sit.

Man, I remember that Intensive Japanese summer class in undergrad. I hoped those two chicks never bought a textbook because for months, it feels like you've got two girls resting their heads on your shoulder. Well, part of the way anyways, but you can fill it in with your imagination.

 
At 7:17 p.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Maggie and Cody, their names were...**SIGH**

 
At 4:20 a.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Hmm.. I thought I every trick in the book! Thanks Vince. Wait, did you want to be anonymous? I meant "Thanks, Cosmic Ocean."

 
At 12:14 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

=) this entry made me laugh!

ps. guess what! haili from canada wrote me today, after 3 yrs! -gina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home