Monday, October 31, 2005

First-time blood donor

I donated blood for the first time today. To be honest, I was a bit more nervous than I thought I'd be, especially when I saw dozens of people lying on cots and looking rather dazed. I must also confess that I requested localised anaesthetic. Also, I couldn't look at the needles and the tubes and stuff. Next time, I promise I'll experience the pain and to have a glance at the procedure. The nurses were very friendly, and their sense of humour helped. I was a bit disappointed that we were served soda crackers rather than cookies, though. The prospect of enjoying a nice cookie at the end was one of the big motivators, you know?

It's suddenly gotten cooler in Hong Kong. Just two days ago, it was 30 degrees in the daytime and 25 or so at night, but tonight, it's a cool 23 degrees. For the first time since I arrived in Hong Kong, I've been able to turn off the air conditioning. I hope it won't get hot again, except for the days I want to go swimming.

6 Comments:

At 5:13 a.m., Blogger Wabisabi said...

Charity, young man, Charity!

 
At 6:55 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

I remember when, instead of just juice and cookies, the Red Cross gave better stuff for donors.

Mmmm...salmon burgers...

 
At 11:07 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they used to give out pins. Maybe nowadays, you've to accumulate enough "merit points" to earn that.

 
At 6:20 p.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Merit points!? My pint of blood will save someone's life! I think that merits at least a salmon burger...

 
At 7:08 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have given in Taipei. They give weird stuff there. Once they gave me a no-name-brand Swiss Army knife (two, actually) and a bottle of chicken soup stock. Another time it was a stationery set. Fun

 
At 8:54 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

A swiss army knife and some chicken soup stock!? Sounds like you're being sent out on a survival course out in the woods.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home