Saturday, January 14, 2006

Bangkok bound!

I'm going to Bangkok! After years of being prodded by friends who've visited before, I've finally decided to visit Thailand.

I never went to Thailand in the past because I was more interested in visiting China. Now that I've lived in China for a year, and since I'm a bit sick of travelling within China at the moment, perhaps it's a good time to go to Thailand. Another reason why I never went to Thailand in the past was because I was never interested in the debauchery that many foreigners tend to enjoy there. It's not that I'm a prude or that I live my life free of vices, but I've never felt the need to get drunk off cheap beer and pay women to keep me company. Anyway, it would be silly to ignore such an interesting place just because of some silly foreigners. In fact, I've been interested in Thailand in the last few years. I even wrote papers on Thailand during my undergraduate years, on topics that include the relationship between the state and religion and economic development in recent decades.

I think I'll stay in Bangkok this time. I'll visit northern Thailand, the beach areas like Ko Samui and Phuket, and former royal capitals like Ayudhya and Sukhothai next time.

While in Bangkok, I intend to eat, shop, eat, visit temples and palaces, eat, wander the streets and alleys, eat, and to go to go-go bars. I'm glad my girlfriend is open-minded enough to go to a go-go bar with me. We're not going to go-go bars because we're perverts, but because they're there. Where else can you see women shooting ping-pong balls out of and opening bottles of soda with certain orifices? Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be able to watch a Muay Thai fight. My girlfriend isn't very fond of violence, and besides, a Muay Thai stadium is no place to bring a lady.

Anyway, I hope you guys can give me some tips on Bangkok. Please tell me how to avoid getting ripped off, places I should avoid visiting, and things I should avoid eating. And let me know where the bargains are. I'm leaving Thursday.

2 Comments:

At 6:04 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

When you go to a jewelry store (or perhaps any store) and they offer you tea, DON'T DRINK IT!!! It's most likely drugged to make you more "flexible" to make a sale. One of my buddies got duped out of a shitload of money for fake rubies.

Also, you probably shouldn't accept any free "tours" from girls(former guys?) and taxi drivers, as they only take you to the stores that pay them off.

 
At 1:15 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a forum that's quite popular for discussion on travelling to Thailand. Hope it would help.
http://www.thailandfans.com/forum/index.php?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home