Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Pringles test

Pringles, the potato chips that are sold in cans, are among the few affordable junk food snacks I buy in Hong Kong. I prefer Cheetos, Doritos, and Ruffles, all of which are available here, but not as affordable. The average price of a 200 gram bag of the latter three is $17.50 HKD, which is nearly $3.00 CAD. Pringles, on the other hand, has been on discount for more than a month, and normally costs $9.50 HKD, less than $1.50 CAD. I've eaten more Pringles in the last month than I've eaten in my entire life.

One thing I hate about Pringles, however, is that most cans are filled with broken chips. Even though the cans may seem intact, the chips inside are usually not. What I've learned to do is to bring the cans to my ear and turn them upside down, allowing me to hear how many broken bits slide inside the can. I usually have to turn 10 cans upside down before I can find a can that has an acceptable casualty rate.

A few weeks ago, I was at Wellcome (one of the two dominant Hong Kong supermarket chains) at the Westwood (a luxury condominium complex near HKU), and was conducting my Pringles test. I forgot to mention that I sometimes turn my head when I do the Pringles test. On my fifth or sixth can, I turned around and saw a cute girl watching me. When she saw that I noticed her, she giggled, then continued along, pushing her shopping cart, and a few seconds later, turned around to take another look. By coincidence, I bumped into her at the check-out aisle. In fact, she was right in front of me. She turned around a couple of times and smiled. I didn't bother to start a conversation with her because 1. I didn't know what to say and 2. I was already unavailable at the time.

I always thought that my Pringle test would mark me as a weirdo, not a cutie.

11 Comments:

At 5:25 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

WTF!? The explanation of the Pringles test is the greatest conversation starter you'll ever come across in your life!!

Just because you're "unavailable" doesn't mean you should leave her alone! 1) You could "just be friends" 2) You're not the only person whose availability is relevant. You probably have friends who are not as "unavailable" as you. Share the wealth.

 
At 8:37 a.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Oh man, I feel so selfish now. Sorry bud.

I disagree with you on the conversation starter. What would I have said? "Hi. I bet you're wondering about me turning those cans of chips upside down.."?

I dunno man, seems a bit unnatural to me. But if I were single, I suppose I would have taken the plunge.

 
At 10:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Pringles cans on the discount shelf are the ones which have already undergone the 'shake the can' test by the staff. You will be lucky not to find broken chips in them.

With this hind sight, can you find a new meaning in the looks that girl gave you? :)

I think some broken chips are not a bad idea; apart from the discount price, more can-to-mouth trips make the Pringles last long!

 
At 10:38 a.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Haha, can-to-mouth trips, huh? Hilarious! But I must disagree with you there: that's not efficient! Also, I tend to be annoyed when I stick my hand in the can and come up with a mere crumb.

Hey Anon, what are you implying about the looks the girl gave me?

 
At 11:14 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

I disagree. You've piqued her interest. Either she wants to know all about the little quirks you have, or you can use the Pringles Test incident to lead her into knowing more of the other (hopefully finer) things about you.

 
At 4:28 p.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Sigh.. you're right once again, Vince. But please keep in mind that my girlfriend reads this blog, AND the comments. Hello, beautiful! Well, she's cool enough to see how far I'd get with the girl anyway.

 
At 7:46 p.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Uhh...Mrs. Ken, it's not what you think!! I was just asking Kenny to hook me up with this girl...eheheheheheh......crap.

 
At 8:12 p.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Dammit, now that you've got me all fired up, I'm going to do it! I'm going to 7-11 and start shaking Pringle cans like there's no tomorrow once a hot chick walks in.

Or maybe I'll try Wal-Mart. I'm sure those greeters have hot granddaughters coming over to visit.

 
At 8:57 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since there are so many broken chips, why not just go all the way and mash them all up? Potato chips are from potatoes right? So now you have Pringles Mashed Potatoes (Chips)! Pour on some gravy and the masterpiece is complete. Oh boy...I'm gonna tell them folks at KFC about this brilliant idea.

 
At 4:59 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

That's right. Just add water and stick it in the microwave and you've got some good bachelor eatin'!

Goes best with a side of reconstituted beef jerky steak.

 
At 5:41 p.m., Blogger Wabisabi said...

Me psychic. Me no need to shake Pringles can. -____-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home