Thursday, November 17, 2005

"Hold the lift!"

Something I absolutely hate about Hong Kong people is their lack of patience. This is most evident when taking the lift. I absolutely hate it when thd lift door opens, then promptly closes. I can even see the sonofabitch inside repeatedly pressing the "door close" button! It doesn't help that the "door close" button causes the door to close immediately, quite unlike North America, where there's usually a delay of 2-3 seconds. The person inside presses the button even though he or she can see me directly in front of the elevator door.

Anyway, I usually stick my hand into the elevator to push the panel on the inside of the elevator door that is located between the shaft door and the car door, the panel that causes the door to open if pushed. If I want to become more dramatic, or if my hands are full, I can kick this panel. If the person inside has pushed the "door close" button, I usually give them a disappointed glance, look towards the ceiling, shake my head, and make a "tsk tsk" sound. Sometimes, I may mutter "what an asshole."

In the future, if I get out of the lift before the "door close" person does, I just might press all of the floors just to make sure they enjoy an extra-long ride. So rushed that they couldn't let me walk in the door in peace, huh?

10 Comments:

At 7:49 p.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:50 p.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

I'm sure as one of my kung fu "see hing's", you share my sentiments of desire not just to kick the lift door open, but do a flying kick at the asshole/bitch pressing the close button, and thus entering the lift at the same time.

Then, once you reach you or the offender's destination, you'll feel like holding his/her head between the elevator doors and repeatedly pressing the open/close buttons.

Or if you can't deal with the assault charges, just simply run your fingers through all the elevator buttons before you leave.

 
At 2:54 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the non-violent confrontational approach. Simply say to the wrongdoer: "don't f- with me, man!" Usually works. Although kung fu might be more fun.

 
At 3:02 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

so much violence in you, child.

 
At 4:45 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Well Gandhi, practicing your brand of passive resistance will only get you fired because you can't go to work, having to wait for an elevator the entire day.

And the stairs aren't exactly the solution if your office is on the 34th floor...

 
At 10:57 a.m., Blogger Triple D said...

I'm all for the physical approach, ppl now a days all to quickly brush off the verbal advice.

At least with a few fistsfuls of love, the kid will think twice before trying it again... at least on you.

 
At 6:54 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

so much violence in you all, children. Can I offer you a dish of vegetable curry?

 
At 8:49 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Why don't you use your mighty Yoga Fire or something?

 
At 1:24 a.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Nah, I'm all for peace and love, man. Until my life is threatened. That's why I got so furious when drivers nearly ran me over when I rode my bike in Beijing. I would have pummelled them half to death if they got out of their cars and laid a hand on me.

 
At 4:20 p.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Haha! "Fistfuls of love".. you crack me up, Don.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home