Sunday, November 27, 2005

Need a new racquet

I think I'm going to invest in a relatively nice badminton racquet. My old one wasn't bad, but I've tried my friends' racquets, and with some of them, it's as though there's a spring in them to make hits more powerful. Well, today's events presented me an opportunity to buy a new racquet: I destroyed my racquet today when it slipped out of my hand while I was going for a smash. My bitchy badminton instructor always told me to relax until just before the moment of contact with the shuttlecock. Unfortunately, sweaty palms and a powerful smash don't mix well. My racquet hit the floor hard. The face bent backwards at a 15% angle and the rim cracked.

The $23 CAD ($150 HKD) I paid for 8 badminton lessons was well worth it. Learning the basics was a very good idea. Outside of class, my friends have been shocked at my progress in the last couple of weeks, and some are afraid of my backhand. Every time I play against someone who's better than me, I adopt some of their strategies. In recent weeks, I've learned how to make gentle shots where the shuttlecock just goes over the net (and drops to the ground immediately afterwards), make my opponents run around the court, feign short and long serves, and exactly when to smash. Of course, I still have lots to learn, but I'm no longer the suckiest guy on the court.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably-priced racquet? Does anyone have anything against any particular brand or material? Should I go for carbon, graphite, titanium, or what? I think I can spend around $300 HKD/ $50 CAD.

4 Comments:

At 5:33 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

May I suggest the Cockpounder 2000?

 
At 2:30 p.m., Blogger Triple D said...

dude, contact my sister, one of my Uncle's on my Mom's side is a badminton enthusiast. He can give u some tips.

Oh and Jon is coming back to HK, he's badminton king, so u can talk to him about it too.

 
At 5:57 p.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Oh man, the badminton courts will be closed for 5 weeks starting next week because they will be converted into examination halls. Sigh.. I guess there's no rush to buy a racquet. Haha, cockpounder.. such a rude boy, Vince.

 
At 7:15 p.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

What? WHAT? "Cock" as in "shuttlecock". A racquet that pounds shuttlecocks. That's its selling point. What did you have in mind?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home