Thursday, April 20, 2006

Mixed-bag entry

I've been neglecting this site for way too long.


I've been sick with the flu for the last few days, but this is a kind of flu I've never experienced before. Instead of having a sore throat and coughing and sneezing all the time, I've had some terrible fevers, and am either simultaneously or alternating between feeling extremely hot or extremely cold. I also periodically experienced pain in my lower back, shoulders, and left knee. Very bizarre. I'm beginning to wonder whether or not this was really a flu. How do doctors know, anyway? They just ask a few questions and make a judgement. It MIGHT be something else, something much more serious, right? And every time I have the flu in Hong Kong, doctors ONLY give me panadol (a.k.a. Tylenol), whereas in Canada, I'm always prescribed anti-biotics. I ask doctors here if they're going to prescribe anti-biotics, and they explain, "No. Influenza is a virus, so anti-biotics won't do any good." Strange. Can you doctors and pharmacists explain?

Oh, and I've been freaking out today. My left shin is a mess! It feels bruised and looks like there's a rash. Maybe it's from kickboxing, since I've been using both of my shins to block kicks in Muay Thai class, but I haven't had a class in a week (I skipped today's class, and Monday's class was cancelled due to Easter), AND there's nothing wrong with my right shin. My buddy Trylon - yes, that's his real name - said that hairline fractures actually heal relatively easily, but my concern is that it may be something more like the flesh-eating disease!

I'm worried that my leg injury, if it is indeed a bona-fide injury, may prevent me from playing sports in the next little while. Since early March, I managed to lose 12 lbs in 4 weeks and 16 lbs in 6 weeks, and I'd hate for this progress to be wasted, let alone halted. Yes, I know you're all probably curious about my weight-loss. I lost the first 10 lbs in the 4-5 days after my break-up, and kept it off (and lost more) thanks to Muay Thai.


Perhaps the rapid and wild fluctuations in temperature are responsible for my flu. I've been using air-conditioning since mid-March, but temperatures dropped by up to 10 degrees celsius last week, so perhaps I wasn't prepared for that. Well, one good thing that came out of the sudden drop in temperature was that I got to eat all-you-can-eat hotpot, which is perfect for cold days. Temperatures have been hitting 30 degrees again in the last couple of days, though.


Oh, President Hu Jintao is in the US right now. Did he go straight to the White House? No, he went to Bill Gates' house first.

The world's richest man can do anything, can't he? He doesn't even have to stand up when the president of China and the CEO of Microsoft shake hands. It doesn't matter if he looks stupid with a shit-eating grin on his face, looking up at two men shaking hands. The People's Daily's crappy photographer didn't help much either. I'm not saying I could do any better, though.


There, I finally wrote something, even though it's crap. The quality-control part of me will hate me later.

3 Comments:

At 11:11 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

I hope it's not avian flu...

Hong Kong (maybe even Chinese) people always think up weird names to torture their kids...or self-inflicted Engrish. Here's a pretty good list:

http://www.bigwhiteguy.com/tea/names.php

 
At 11:14 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

I knew a Chinese guy whose first name was "Being", and his last name was "Young". I shit you not.

Pretty neat, yet pretty weird...

 
At 3:30 p.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Turns out I have a bacterial infection in my leg, probably because of my hair follicles. I suspect it still has something to do with Muay Thai.

NOW I need to take anti-biotics. Strange.. my family physician in Canada was crazy about anti-biotics whenever anyone in my family got the flu. Shit.. there goes my immunity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home