Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Slim pickin's

I just spent the rest of my Chinese New Year red pocket money.. ALREADY! Despite the large number of relatives I have in Hong Kong, and the fact that two of my elder cousins in Hong Kong are now married (and are therefore obliged to give me red pocket money), this year's take has been surprisingly low, so low that I blew my "jackpot" on a large pizza and laundry tokens.

With the exception of one aunt, every single relative here handed out only $20 HKD. That's strange, because in Canada, I was given $20 CAD! Today, $1 CAD = $6.789 HKD. Wow, I've really lost out, haven't I? Is the economy doing that poorly in Hong Kong? Were my relatives in Canada particularly generous? Did my relatives in Hong Kong collude to decide on $20 HKD as a token amount? Don't get me wrong - I don't NEED the money, and I don't love my relatives any less. It's just that all of my friends joked about me getting ready to strike it rich, etc., and I can't believe I spent it all on pizza and laundry tokens.

At least I fared better this year than I did last year in Beijing.

4 Comments:

At 6:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right about the "collusion", or more precisely, the "game theory" concept in economics.

 
At 9:28 p.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Haha.. damn! I don't look forward to next year's Chinese New Year, then.

 
At 4:30 a.m., Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Don't you hate it when you get one of those red envelopes, and already you can feel that it's a coin inside?

 
At 2:09 p.m., Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Wow, I've never had it THAT bad! But if Canada introduces a 5 dollar coin, then $5 CAD is better than $20 HKD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home