Thursday, August 06, 2009

The hottest day of the year (so far)

It turns out that last Sunday was the hottest day in Hong Kong (so far). Unfortunately, the air conditioning in my dorm room wasn't working very well, and my room was sweltering at 28 degrees C even though the a/c was set to the coolest setting. I sweat a lot, and my t-shirts get soaked very easily. If my t-shirts become more than 80% soaked, my shorts and underwear will get wet too, and wet underwear makes me want to piss my pants. Sunday was not a pleasant day. Here's a quick rundown of the day:

1:30pm, dorm room, St. John's College - I put on a blue HKU PGSA polo shirt

1:40pm, laundry room, St. John's College - the polo shirt got 70% soaked after only 6 minutes in the un-air conditioned laundry room. I took it off and hung it on the back of my chair for about 45 minutes, then put it on again when I put my clothes in the dryer

2:45pm, dorm room, St. John's College - I put on a light brown polo shirt with blue horizontal stripes, then entertained a visitor, feeding her bananas, coffee, wasabi peas, and cookies. It was surprisingly fun to watch a cute, skinny girl eat

3:00pm, dorm room, St. John's College - after fetching my laundry and baking in my room, the second polo shirt was 80% soaked. My visitor was very nice - even if she DID mind that my t-shirt was soaking wet, she didn't show it, and therefore didn't make me feel any more uncomfortable than I already was

3:10pm, dorm room, St. John's College - I put on a black "Jack Wolfskin" t-shirt and soaked it 20% or so while fetching my laundry

3:20pm, Pokfulam Road - sent off my guest and waited for a bus to Sheung Wan; the black t-shirt got 50% soaked during the 6 minutes of waiting

3:55pm, DEF Boxing, Sheung Wan - I changed into my Muay Thai shorts and t-shirt #1, a navy blue t-shirt from Giordano. The black Jack Wolfskin t-shirt was 70% wet when I changed out of it. Pre-workout weight: 225 lbs

4:30pm, DEF Boxing, Sheung Wan - after warming up, skipping rope, jumping around, and some warm-up drills, my t-shirt got 80% soaked. I changed into t-shirt #2, my "Pacman" t-shirt

4:50pm, DEF Boxing, Sheung Wan - after 20 minutes of bag-work and pad-work, it was time to change into t-shirt #3, my "fast food" t-shirt

5:30pm, DEF Boxing, Sheung Wan - after some one-on-one striking and blocking drills, it was time to change into t-shirt #4, a black t-shirt from Giordano

6:10pm, DEF Boxing, Sheung Wan - after soaking t-shirt #4 with a few rounds of sparring, I hit the showers and changed into a navy blue polo shirt. I soaked this polo shirt 30% during the 10 minute walk in 35 degrees C weather (and this was after sunset) to the barber shop. Oh yes, post-workout weight: 218 lbs

9:00pm, dorm room, St. John's College - I got back home after my haircut and some grocery shopping. The blue polo shirt was 80% wet when I took it off. Carrying a dozen pounds of groceries, as well as 5 wet t-shirts in my backpack, uphill from the bus terminal to St. John's didn't help. After taking another shower, I changed into a tan polo shirt with blue horizontal stripes right before heading out for an interview for my thesis work

11:45pm, dorm room, St. John's College - got back from my interview and took a third shower


So there you have it. One hot day, 8 different shirts, and 3 showers. At least I didn't piss my pants. I can't wait till the 4-6 week long winter arrives, even though it feels like Vancouver in late October, only drier. Today (Wednesday) wasn't quite as hot, but I still went through 7 t-shirts after 2 separate boxing workouts and a thunderstorm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home